Holiday DIY STEM Project
I love the holiday season! It is my second favorite time of the year, coming close to spring time but I sure do miss the spring rain showers.
I wanted to share this DIY STEM project because I think it is an absolute genius idea for cheap but thoughtful gifts for the holidays this year. It is very simple, easy to do and they turn out beautiful in the end.
They are homemade crystals ornaments! Yes, they actually grow on their own and you can make your own in just 5 simple steps. I’ll provide the list of ingredients needed and then you will be on your way to making your own crystal ornaments.
- Pipe cleaners– colored ones are the best
- Borax- you can find them at your local grocery store if you can use this link and have it delivered to your door
- HOT Water- No joke, the hotter the better.
- String or ribbon– to make it into the ornament but also to hold onto popsicle stick while crystals are forming
- Craft stick– to hold string
- Solo Cups or any container that matter that the popsicle stick can lay on top of- to hold while crystals are forming
Now, I’ll provide step-by-step instructions and pictures for you to follow along.
DIY STEM Holiday Crystals
- Using pipe cleaner, create the shape of your ornament. Be careful though, make sure your ornament fits inside the solo cup (I.e the pipe cleaner shouldn’t be touching the sides)
- Tie your string or ribbon to the ornament and to the craft stick as well, make sure you test with the cup to ensure that pipe cleaner doesn’t touch sides or bottom of the cup.
3. Bring water to a boil and put 5 tablespoons of borax into your cup. The borax and water together create the crystals. (I used the hot water from our Water Filter at home)
4.When water is done boiling fill the cup up until water is just above the line of the cup, if you are using a solo cup, or about 1.5 cups of water. 5. Place pipe cleaner design into cup of mixture and let sit. The crystals will start forming within the hour but it’ll take at least a day for it all to come together.
This is an awesome DIY STEM project to do at home. It’s easy and cheap to make, the crystals will be the color of your pipe cleaner so make sure to make a bunch of different ones. They are great Christmas presents as well. after 24 hours you will have a fancy new ornament for your tree or a gift for a loved one or a friend. Enjoy!!