Growing up, I have always been active. I played softball and soccer for most of my life so I was always in shape. Going into my senior year of high school I started getting sick more than usual. I went from being able to run a six minute mile to not being able to walk up the stairs without coughing my lungs out. I didn’t take medicine as it was so going to the doctors wouldn’t have done anything for me. I dealt with this chronic cough for over a year, it wasn’t until I couldn’t keep any food down that we decided to go to the doctor.
We had already been going to the gym on a daily basis so it wasn’t like I was out of shape, in fact I was getting to the point where I could run consistently on the treadmill and even do yoga poses that I couldn’t do before but still I was throwing up and coughing like crazy. When you go to the doctors expecting to be told you have stomach ulcers but instead they tell you that you have cancer, working out just didn’t seem important at that time.
When I started chemo, I didn’t know what to expect, from everything I was told and all of the medicine I was given, I expected to be on my death bed. Instead, after my first few treatments, I was able to go to the gym but the deeper i got into the treatments the harder it was to go to the gym. I was tired before the sun went down and it started getting harder to get homework done. I was at an all time low, not physically but mentally.
It wasn’t until I started gaining weight that I felt overwhelmed. I was thankful that I wasn’t losing weight and never got sick but as fast as the wight came on, I was really self-conscious. Once chemo was over and I knew that I could workout again, i began slowly working out on my own. And while I haven’t lost any weight yet, I have started feeling better about myself. I know how important it is to stay healthy and while having a healthy diet is a large part of it I wanted to share my fitness goals for the year.
1. Lose all of the weight I gained during chemo- Before chemo, I was far from being in shape but I was at a weight that I felt comfortable with and working toward my ideal fitness shape. So before I start coming up with crazy fitness goal, I know that I need to lose the weight I gained in a healthy way.
2. Maintain a healthy diet- I absolutely love candy, like so much that I have a candy subscription. Being told to avoid eating sugary foods was hard, especially when majority of my chemo were during holidays like Halloween and Christmas, but for those four months of chemo I barely had any candy and now that I am done with chemo I still plan on limiting my candy consumption. But the highlight of eating healthy is that I love vegetables just as much as I love candy.
3. Have a set workout schedule- Since I am still recovering from chemo and I still have radiation coming up, my goal is to hit the gym at least three times a week with one of those days being yoga. Having a membership to our local YMCA helps, it allows me to go workout on set days but still offers class including yoga, that I can take. I’m looking forward to having a schedule that I can set and not have my life revolve around going to the hospital and getting tests done.
4. Improve my immune system- The rough part about chemo is having a compromised immune system, instead of having the fear of getting sick again, I want t be able to build my immune system up so that I can continue working out and going to school without worrying about getting sick again. I dont ever want to deal with chemo again so I will do anything to stay healthy and have a strong immune system.
5. Postitive Attitude, Positive mindset- When you’re put into situations that you dont like, it is hard to maintain a positive attitude especially when it revolves putting chemical into your body that make you feel terrible. I do have to admit that at times I had a terrible attitude, not negative but not happy, there were times that I would snap at my family one second and not even realize it. My top fitness goal is to maintain a positive attitude while getting back into shape and be happy with all of the results that come my way. I want to be happy with myself so I will stay positive throughout all of this.